Random emotions within a cryptic psyche

Author: Carla Rose /






Breaking out of habits have been on the forefront for me. Habits that are part of my personality ones with layers of cushion between them. Habits I don't label as bad or good. Just habits, particularly within my brain that stem most likely from childhood happenings. I try to find amusement in the aspects of emotions, though at times it is hard. I struggle with seriousness, taking everything so earth shattering and personal. (I thank my moon in Pisces for some of this) I assume this is why it is difficult for me to be in large circles socially.Understandably. Often. Misunderstood. Times like these revisit me inside my  brain and take over with excerpts of comments heard long ago. "You passed by the skin of your teeth", that sentence echos and ricochets inside my head from my third grade teacher. I played the  dot to dot game when the state tests were administered or any form of test for that matter. I never paid attention in class, I didn't give much energy to learning. Looking back I realize some of my reactions were knee jerk responses I used as a defense mechanism. Truth is I couldn't grasp it  a t  a l l .







 I believe raising little Emily is a learning experience. I try to implement a unassuming consciousness of child like innocence as my learning deepens, some times this is easier said than done. Looking in her eyes when I am feeling challenged reminds me of my school days. I read different philosophies on parenting, I use a gentle, calm nurturing approach. I don't use one method as the "key", instead I incorporate what feels right.  She is 9 months, with a determined strong will. She wants what she wants now. From not being able to turn a page in her book, to not being able to feed herself, to repeatedly  hitting me in the face. (Aquarius with moon in sag) Her side eye balling gaze reprimands me the same way educators had towards me as a child. Yet there is this magnetizable brilliance (referenced in the picture of the lighted figure above), which keeps me coming back for more. I don't recall these experiences when raising my son 15 yrs ago. They are different. I am different.




Although navigating my way through new territory can be exciting, I find myself falling into the self sabotage mode. I think "what on Earth could she of possibly been thinking when she picked me to be her Mama"?!.... I know this thought pattern is counter productive so I quickly shift gears. I always wanted a baby girl, and when we had her my husband and I knew we would be homeschooling her. I struggle with the brutalizing thoughts of how the heck I am going to teach this little girl subjects that I fought to learn. Things like times tables, comprehension etc. etc. etc. My DNA is not programed for intellect theoretical ways of learning. Militant structured guidelines do not appeal to me or my husband.



Though...time is on my side, for now I need to keep repeating this to myself.



..




 

4 comments:

Deb said...

Children have a wonderful way of learning on their own, with very little input from anyone else. They are born curious, and it takes a hell of a lot (eg a set up like the school system) to knock that curiosity out of them.

There are so many things I don't know, in the academic sense, but should R become interested in those things I'm really looking forward to finding out about them with him, together. In home education, the parents learn just as much as the children, if not more!

Many times things like timetables actually stop learning from happening. Personally, I think it's far better to follow the interests of the child, and spend as long as they want, whether that's 5 minutes or 6 months, on a particular subject or project. Then they will learn exactly what and how much they need at that time, and it will be true learning, not just remembering some facts.

Anyway, sorry you already know all that! I'm really pleased to have found your blog, what a beautiful place. :) xx

Unknown said...

Oh, a Pisces moon has so much to offer a child! The fluidity, the intuitive understanding that living life IS learning.

You have already experienced how overly structured academic learning killed your zest. Now you can offer her Sag moon the freedom to explore that she'll crave.

Carla Rose said...

Debs~ I appreciate all of the knowledge you shared here. I am looking forward to embarking on this with Emily real soon. Thank you for your kind words.

Mon~ Learning life through living has been lucrative for my growth, I can only hold hope that child rearing will benefit from that.

Erin said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog :) Glad I found you. I'm enjoying reading your blog. Much Peace.

Post a Comment

Let your thoughts stream naturally here~